Review of The Shack by William P Young

I approached this book having heard mixed reviews, I'd put off reading it due to the more negative ones.  On starting it, I had a bit of that bias still in me.  It's easy when you have tinted glasses on to look at something and get picky about things that may seem weird - which I admit I did starting this book - for example I thought the whole God portrayed initially as a woman was weird and someone being clever or something, however as I continued to read this book it just gripped me in a way I can't explain.  (And by the way that God being woman to start with thing made sense by the end when God portrayed Himself as a man... He is God after all and does what is best for the individual according to what they need in any given situation.)

This I would say is the most cleverly written book I've read in a long time.  The insight into Gods character is just incredible as is the portrayal of each part.  Nothing is left out in this...

I found the story actually answered a lot of my own questions about the situation also - it dealt with the hard questions that aren't often dealt with in Christianity regarding some of the horrors that happen to people - even God's own people.  There are so many 'why's' in a Christians mind and heart and pain and unforgiveness that really hold them back when we don't understand the things that go on - and understandably and this book goes through dealing with each question. It's really interesting, comforting and inspiring.

Aside from all of this it FINALLY is a book that gets God right away from the typical stereotype so many that don't know Him have of Him. This really portrays God as I believe He is... fun, warm, loving.... with a special place in His heart for each of us.

There is so much I could say about this book but at the same time I don't want this to be too much of a spoiler for those of you who haven't yet read it.  I would definitely recommend you do...

It's incredibly emotional and it will take you on a journey that is for sure.... and might even change some of your perspectives about God on the way.

Glad I read this for myself.

Comments