Review of 'The MoneySmart Family System' by Steve and Annette Economides

This book is everything I hoped it would be.  Incredibly well written and easy to read, I found myself engrossed for hours - something I wouldn't have expected from this type of topic but it is far from dull. It was packed with so much creativity in approaching this topic - this book is certainly a wealth of valuable information.  I love this family's approach to training their children to survive in the world - as isn't that what parenting is all about?  Preparing them so that they can make wise decisions and prosper on their own. 


It rings true to me that children need to learn self sufficiency and that parents need to be very wary of creating expectations and providing a higher standard of living that their children get used to, that the children may not be able to provide for themselves. This starts the whole debt ball rolling as they try to maintain that level of their parents and get further into debt.


I love the practicality of this book.  Incredibly practical and system oriented with great examples throughout.  They deal with every age - including breaking the systems down as they have done with their family according to age appropriateness.  It's all based on their experience with their own family through trial and error so it's not just someone theorising - this is real stuff.  A lot of these systems and ideas I will definitely also use as they just make a lot of sense.  They are well thought through  and something I believe many parents would benefit from, as how many parents have time to sit and concept something like this?  Here it is already done for you - and really this book is like that - it gives you everything you need - ideas, advice and also covering miscellaneous situations that come up in life also.  A very valuable resource.


I found myself excited reading this and can completely see how liberating and exciting these methods would be for children to be a part of, age appropriate and fun but also realistic.
Overall I am very impressed with this book and highly recommend it.  All parents should read this book!


Please note: Booksneeze sent me a copy of this book for review.  This review is not influenced by anyone else, it is my own. 

Comments