Review of 'Brodo A Bone Broth Cookbook' by Marco Canora

I know I often comment on the books cover and supposedly you can't judge a book by it's cover but as an art student - I actually do most of the time.  And I have to admit I gasped on removing this book from it's shipping box - WOW!  This book is like a piece of art! The top of the design of the cover is a textured type feel with letterpress writing (indented) for the title etc, and the bottom photo part is smooth.  I absolutely adore the design of this book - it's beautiful!

Opening the pages doesn't disappoint.  Artfully taken photography along with clearly laid out pages just makes this book a winner for me without even trying the recipes - which will be the ultimate decision of rank for this book.  It's smaller in size than normal at around 8 inches by 7 inches - so almost square and for me - the perfect size!

Marco Canora owns a broth dispensary called 'Brodo' in NYC and started just with three signature broths - all organic, local and grassed and completely nutritious.  Prior to reading this book I was unaware of his small business but next time in NYC will definitely mark that in for a visit. For years I've known of the value of bone broth, it's just getting hold of the quality bones that has been the biggest setback for me.

The book is broken into two sections: The Power Of Bone Broth and The Recipes.  In the first section he tells the story of 'Brodo', info on the value of bone broths and a 3 day Bone Broth reset and then tips, tools and techniques for making it at home.  The it goes on to recipes for sipping broths, adding, Brodo bowls and risottos.

I found in particular the section with tips an techniques to be really helpful as he discusses where to find the bones and which are best to use, how to store it, how to flavor it and things to keep in mind as you make it.  It's really easy to follow and to read.

The broth recipes include: Golden Chicken Broth, Grassfed Beef Broth, Hearth Broth, Polpettone,  Roasted Chicken Broth, Duck Broth, Veal Broth, Roasted Lamb broth, Smoky Pork Broth, End of the month broth, Fish Broth, Lobster Broth, Clam Broth, Mushroom Broth, Vegetable Broth, and Seaweed Broth.

I am very excited about this book! It's something I've wanted to institute in our diet for a long time and hopefully this book will be the inspiration to do it. I will update once I've made more recipes to tell you how I've found them.

Please note that Blogging For Books sent me a complementary copy of this book for my review - however this review is entirely my own.


Comments