Review of 'The Legend Of the Easter Robin' by Dandi Daley Mackall

I love this series of 'legend' books around different celebrations.  I have the Legend of the Candy Cane and the Legend of The Christmas Cookie - both also by Dandi and I believe I have reviewed them on this blog, so was excited to receive the newest addition which focusses on Easter this time.  Having never heard of this one before - it is apparently an old Pennsylvania Dutch tale - I found the story and illustrations really delightful and perfect for children to understand too.

As with 'The Legend Of The Christmas Cookie' this one also lends itself to an activity to go alongside it, which is fantastic to reinforce the message of the book.   The story is of a little girl watching Robins building a nest and laying their eggs and her Grandmother tells her the story of the Robin and how he helped Jesus with some of Jesus' blood spilling on it's chest, making the chest red to remember Christ's sacrifice.  The Grandmother showed her how to dip eggs in blue dye and make birds - another Pennsyvania Dutch tradition at easter - which are then hung from trees.  This is the activity mentioned above that would be fun to do alongside the book.

I love any books that bring out the true meaning of an occasion - this one is really sweet and once again points to Jesus and His amazing sacrifice to be always remembered.

I would definitely recommend this book! It's just beautiful!

Please note: Booklook sent me a copy of this book to review however this review is entirely my own.



Comments