Review of The Bee-Friendly Garden by Kate Frey and Gretchen LeBuhn

After watching about the disappearing of the bees on Netflix last year,  along with a few other documentaries along similar lines - this book was a great follow up to that.  This is a really practical book - giving information about bees, the different types of bees, what they need and all sorts of other interesting and valuable information.

I found the section with information about many of the different species of bee very interesting,  I never realized there were so many types of bees - I guess I thought they were all varieties of honeybee but the honeybee is not even a native bee to USA for example, but there are many other types of bees that are native that I had never heard of.

They talked about plants that draw the right kind of insects into the garden to eliminate pests which means you don't have to use toxic pesticides - which are strongly discouraged due to their harmful effect on the bees. They discuss specific species of bushes, trees, perennials, annuals, biennials, that are bee-friendly. They also give links where necessary for people to find specifically what is native in their area as native is best a lot of the time to attract bees. It also includes edible gardens in this too!
I also found the sections on how to plant and designing the space really interesting and helpful. I am so inspired now to get out in the garden and create some beautiful bee-friendly garden arrangements! 

This is a paperback book, the design is really modern and easy to read. The photography is stunning.  This book would make a great gift too!

I would definitely recommend this book! It is not only beautiful to look through but very inspiring.

Please note that Book Look Bloggers sent me a copy of this book for my review, however this review is entirely my own.



Comments