Review of 'Lessons in Classical Painting; by Juliette Aristides


This book had me at first sight! It's beautiful hard cover design with a stunning painting, which looks like a photograph on the cover.  As a current fine art student, I am constantly devouring books like this to glean as much as I can to help myself in my work.  This book is an amazing collection of lessons full of vital and important information for creating effective paintings.  While I recognized many of the basics from my Fine Art class, I found Juliette's narrative throughout really interesting and insightful.  She offered different ways of approaching painting, which I found refreshing.

The book itself is arranged into chapters, and the lessons are within each chapter.  The chapters are: Value Pattern, Form Painting, Temperature and Color.  Then the lessons fit within each of these as a total of 11 lessons.  The lessons are illustrated pictorially also which is really helpful.  As well as the lessons there are also other tips and important info given such as how to manipulate your edges.

As I write this I am filled with ideas for my next painting! I am looking forward to trying some of the techniques she has presented in this book.

I would definitely recommend this book for anyone either starting out in painting or for those more seasoned.  I noticed the author has two other books out that she has written also, so I will be checking them out also.

Please note that I was sent a copy of this book for purposes of review, however the opinions expressed are entirely my own.

Comments