Review of "Earth Psalms" by Francine Rivers

Okay so the reason I picked up this book was because I absolutely LOVED Francine River's book 'Redeeming Love'.  In fact that book still goes down as one of my all time favorite fiction books. Amazing story - if you haven't read it, DO!!

Anyway, this is a different direction for Francine with this photographically illustrated hard bound book called 'Earth Psalms - reflections on how God speaks through nature'.  My first thought is this book would make a fantastic gift, it just has that look about it I guess.

Inside is a collection of 52 chapters with the idea that you read one a week.  Each one is based on a theme linked to something in nature e.g. earthworms, squirrels, sheep, redwoods.  There is a scripture for each one, anecdotes from nature, and ending off with a 'Reflect' 'Apply' and 'Connect with God'

It isn't anything too deep. I'd say it's fairly light reading and
nothing overly new.

So, my honest opinion? I'm not that impressed by it and had I seen it in the store and flicked through it, I would give it a miss.  It's not the type of thing I personally look for in a devotional. The design of the cover etc has a dated look - I'm trying to put my finger on exactly what it is that is making it look dated - it's a combination of things, but the photographs don't help, in my opinion.

Please note that I received a copy of this book in exchange for review, however my review is entirely my own.


Comments