Review of 'When We Last Spoke' by Marci Henna - Book and Intro DVD



I am not a fan of this book. Maybe it's a cultural thing?  For me from the very beginning, the book just was not engaging.  The writing style was not easy to read - it lacked flow, which took away from my enjoyment of it also. There are a lot of colloquialism throughout, and terms I've never heard of in my life - I could generally figure them out by context, but still it stopped the flow of reading for me many times.

The story, though fiction, is a kind of memoir written by a granddaughter about her grandparents and the various things she remembers about life with them when they were alive and with her sister.  It is very slow moving.  To be honest, I just found it boring.  There is a lot of description about the types of food eaten and brand names etc throughout also - which might appeal to people of a certain generation or locality to recognize them?  It just didn't do anything for me at all.

Please note that I was sent a copy of this book for purposes of review, however the opinions are entirely my own.

You can buy it here  or the kindle version here

Comments