Review of 'The 10 Greatest Struggles Of Your Life' by Colin S Smith

This book caught my attention with the statement on the cover "Pastor Colin Smith opens up the Ten Commandments to show how there is more to them than meets the eye".  I love insights into scripture and hearing of other people's revelations, so I dove into this one.

Colin has broken the chapters down to align with the ten commandments.  The titles of the chapters reveal a little of the direction he is going in each:
1. Your struggle with God
2. Your struggle with worship
3. Your struggle with religion
4. Your struggle with time
5. Your struggle with authority
and so on.

In the introduction he states: 'God is love, and He calls us to pursue a life that reflects His character. That's why He gave us the Ten Commandments.  They show us what God is like and spell out the meaning of love.  The reason we should not commit adultery is that God is faithful. The reason for not bearing false witness is that God speaks the truth. The reason for not coveting is that God is content in Himself. This is what God is like and since you were created in His image, this is the life for which you were made'.  I have never heard this expounded in this way before.  For me that was revelation and clarity all in one shot and we're just getting started!

In the first chapter he talks about pursuing a life of loving loyalty to God. He states in one part that whatever dominates your thoughts, goals, conversations, whatever is the first love of your life - that is your god. He speaks of turning from what offends God out of love for him - some good stuff there too.

The next chapter, I was struck by this part: "Idolatry involves putting the things we love in the place of God or seeing God as a means of getting the things that we want, and that's the second great struggle of our lives"p31  And another quote: 'David Field says, "The explosive power of the living God cannot be harnessed.  He is never at our disposal. We cannot bargain with him. He is there to be worshipped, not to be manipulated." p33.  Wow!

I could go on, but I will let you get it and find out for yourself how great this book is. For me, I love to be challenged on things - for things I hadn't thought of previously to be brought to my attention from a spiritual light to live a life more pleasing to God.  This is definitely a keeper and I would highly recommend it.  Very practical for those really seeking to draw nearer to God.

Also there is a study guide at the end. This would most definitely be an excellent book to do in a small group setting. Very thought provoking to say the least.

Please note that I received a copy of this book for purposes of review however this review is entirely my own.



Comments