Review of 'Foundations Of Drawing' by Al Gary

 
The full title of this book is: 'Foundations of Drawing. A practical guide to art history, tools, techniques, and styles.  As a Fine Art student, I always find these type of books interesting to see how much of it follows the teaching I have been given.  I immediately recognized works of masters throughout, that were also referenced to in my classes.

This is an excellent resource for anyone wanting to learn how to draw. Al has created a resource that is easy to read and follow along, his steps are logical and progressive. I like how he poses questions throughout to explain reasons behind things - I imagine with his many years of experience that these are very commonly asked questions.

He explores the different mediums, which I thought was really helpful, as he covered many that aren't commonly explained, such as conte. I used that in a drawing class in my degree but it was never explained what it actually was - so that was interesting for me.  I will include a picture of the contents so you can see as I won't go into listing all the contents.

I am very impressed with how thorough this book is.  Al has touched on a lot of great information.
I would definitely recommend this book.

You can purchase this book here

Please note that I was sent a copy of this book for purposes of review, however all opinions expressed are entirely my own.








Comments