Review of 'Capital Gaines' by Chip Gaines


Just wanted to start saying I love watching 'Fixer Upper' and I loved their first book 'The Magnolia Story'.  This one for me falls a bit flat.  It felt a bit like it was just riding the opportunity but didn't have a lot to really say that was new.  It refers to the same things from the first book, from Chip's perspective but doesn't really add to it a lot - just confirms things more than anything.  I had a hard time with the persona Chip was being in the book. I guess it's authentic, as that's what he is all about, but he is a showman too - we all know that.  I just felt the book was an opportunity to show off and promote himself and his unique personality and outlook. 

I am really not sure of the point of the book, aside from that. I know Chip and Joanna are great people etc. so am not trying to be nasty or anything.  I just felt the book lacked focus and direction and went all over the place but on finishing it, I felt left with nothing much.  He did explain about the reasoning behind them leaving Fixer Upper, which was nice to hear about - although that was probably on their blog also.  I guess my question to Chip is, what was his message to the reader in this book? Or what did he want the reader to take away from this book that would help their lives?  Maybe it is more aimed for guys with that similar personality? Maybe they would get more out of it?  As a woman, I couldn't relate at all and I am disappointed in this as a follow up to the first book which was excellent.

Please note that I was sent a copy of this book for purposes of review, however all opinions expressed are entirely my own.

Comments

  1. I agree. Just finished reading the book, and I expected to read stories that would offer advice or lessons to aspiring entrepreneurs or anybody looking to reach their passions. But instead it seemed more about how Chip and Joanna got together, started Magnolia, got on TV, and it all worked out for them. Okay, but.... Simply writing the words "don't let you day dreams die" doesn't exactly make this a helpful book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Exactly! It doesn't offer advice or lessons really that you expect from the title etc.

      Delete

Post a Comment