Review of "Itsy Bitsy Christmas" by Max Lucado

This is a great looking book. Measuring around 7 inches across and 9 inches down and shaped like the stable, the cover of this board book is beautifully illustrated as you can see! You may not be able to see in the photo but it also has glitter and glitter texture on the roof, the word 'christmas' and the hay at the bottom.  I love well thought through designs and this has got off to a good start.

I must admit I was shocked to open the book to the first page.  Usually a board book is aimed for younger readers and has larger text and not many words. Not this book.  The first page is 9 sentences long! The first sentence is 10 words long and the rest following similarly.  Looking on the back it would appear that Max has aimed this book for young and old - which would explain that.

It is a sweet story.  If I'm completely honest it isn't an original storyline. I have another christian christmas story that takes a similar line, so that was a bit disappointing.  This book takes the perspective of the mice in the stable where Jesus was born.  They are excited to see the King and seek to find him.  The other animals don't believe a king would come but the mice keep looking till they discover Jesus born right there in the stable.  The final thought is that Jesus came for everyone.

Would I recommend it? Yes I would, it's always great to have books that focus on Jesus, especially on His birthday at christmas time.  This would make a beautiful gift also.

Please note that I was sent this book in exchange for my review - all opinions expressed are entirely my own.

Comments