Review of 'Understanding Color In Photography' by Bryan Peterson

Okay, so if you judge a book by it's cover - this one is definitely a winner from the start!  Considering the book is about color photography - this cover is a fantastic example of great color photography by Bryan Peterson himself. This guy is a master photographer and this book is full of amazing and VERY helpful information on how to achieve eye catching, dynamic color photos.

It is well written, and therefore very easy to read and to follow.  He gives really clear information and tips that he has discovered through his years as a photographer.  I really appreciated it as it was stuff I have never heard before and yet made so much sense.  Things like how we should not use the auto settings on our camera if we want to get vivid color in our photos.  He explains the whys and hows in easy to understand language.

The photography throughout is a combination of his own photos and some of another photographer friend of his - Susana's.  Both have presented just incredible photography.  I could just stare at it all day.  This book is as much a piece of art, as it is informative.  I love how each photo is discussed as to how it was achieved also.

One thing he mentioned was that true photography is not taken and added to online later.  The real skill of it, and art of it is when you can take the photo in camera without changing things later.  I was so happy to hear him say that as it seems sometimes that the skill is lost with people being able to add and change later using software.  There is a place for that too, but this book isn't about that.  Bryan is teaching the skill of capturing images that are stunning on the camera, that you don't need to adjust later.

Topics discussed:

* Each color gets a section of its own. He discusses correct exposures etc.

* Psychology of Color

* Monochromatic/ analogous/ complementary colors

* Exposure / White Balance and Color Temperature

* Visual Weight

* Motion

and more!

I would definitely recommend this book if you love color!  For me, I love the beauty of color -
particularly intense color and didn't realize that you can achieve this in camera with the right techniques! I guess I always assumed they were altered afterward.  I have huge respect after reading this for Bryan Peterson - he is a true artist and his work is AMAZING!

You can buy this book here

Please note that I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for my review - however all opinions expressed are entirely my own.



Comments